Continuing to fit cowl

July 11, 2018 – Well, it’s been a while, but I’m beginning to see the light at the end of this tunnel. It’s been hot, and I haven’t been interested in handling fiberglass lately, but we had a bit of a break and now I’m making progress.

I wish I could describe specifically what I’ve done to get the cowling this far, but you just have to sand here, sand there, and eventually it falls into place.

I trimmed the aft edge where it meets the firewall. I used 2″ tape to give a known dimension, then marked the cowl and cut it.

The hardest part of dealing with this thing is supporting it so I can attempt more or less accurate cuts. I decided it would be easier to support the cowl at the firewall if I went ahead and installed the flanges for the Skybolt fasteners. After playing with the spacing, I decided that 3 1/4″ worked all the way around. I started with the top, then I did the sides, then the bottom.

      

The Skybolt flanges are individual, so they can be trimmed to nest together.

  

I finished up by installing the bottom flanges.

Then I realized that I’d gotten ahead of myself and didn’t need fasteners at the exhaust fairing of the cowling.  Ha. So I removed the flanges at that location.

I think I’m really close right now. I’d like to look at a couple of airplanes. Maybe if I can hold out a couple of weeks I’ll look at some at a little fly-in in Oshkosh…

Time: 12:00

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *