October 23, 2013 – With the right wing on the table, I wanted to arrange the wiring so that the wingtip would be removable and the wiring would be reasonably secured.
I cut the 4-strand cable for the strobe to length and terminated the wires for the wingtip. I clamped the wires to the rib I installed in the tip. Here’s a before and after:
Here’s close-ups of the wiring inside the tip, and of the terminal connection on the wing itself.
I temporarily installed the wingtip to the wing, mainly just for storage. The phillips head 4-40 screws I have will not work later on. I’ve already stripped a few of them, so I’ll be getting torx fasteners later on.
Of course I had to try my lights with everything installed.
I’m calling the right wingtip complete.
A friend from work came over and helped me put the right wing back in the stand and the left wing on the table.
March 5, 2013 – I’ve come a long way since my last update.
Since I did the green LEDs last time, I got the red ones done:
Here’s a guide to how I wired the LEDs:
I installed the strobes on the wingtip cutout backing plates I made. As I wrote before, I didn’t want to attach the strobes to the wingtip fiberglass.
These are the outside and inside views of the strobes. The strobes are Whelen Vertex Hide-a-way Super LED strobes that I got from Strobes N’ More. If they turn out to be not what I need, the cutouts are the standard 1″ hole, so I can drop in a regular strobe if required.
The next thing I needed to do was to make spacers for the screws for the mirrored plexiglass since it sits on top of the LEDs. I needed 1/4″ OD and ID to fit a #6 screw. I found longer spacers and cut them to fit. Unfortunately, the height I need is only 1/8″, so these were kind of a pain to make. They aren’t pristine parts, so I’ll be replacing them with better spacers at some point. For now, they do the job.
Here you see the spacer between the rivets for a nutplate:
…and placed over a screw for the plexiglass:
Here are side views of the plexiglass installed with the spacers:
I started installing the wiring on the outboard wing ribs. I made brackets for the LED drivers. I used thermal epoxy to attach the driver pucks to the brackets, then screwed the brackets to the ribs. I plan on using the terminal bars to connect the lighting to the wiring, so I installed terminals on the driver puck wires.
January 11, 2012 – I had some time to tinker, so I took down a wingtip from its storage, and I made the template for the LED lighting for the position lights. I’m using the system done by David LaSala. Just barely got started with this, because due to the lack of funds for the fuselage, I want to do this work after the wings are closed.
Here’s the template I traced from the outline of the cutout for the tip.