Forward skin installed
November 11, 2016 – Wow! I guess I haven’t done any updates in a while.
I’ve been working towards getting the windshield installed. I wanted to install fans to help cool the avionics behind the panel, so I cut those holes, then I prepped the glareshield area for priming..
I then permanently installed the sub-panel structure. I had previously painted it white for possible added light under there.
I realized that I hadn’t dimpled the flanges of the firewall where the top skin will attach, so I did that.
I painted the underside of the skin flat black where it would be above the panel, then i back-riveted the attach angles for the panel..
Time to close up. I shot what I could by myself.
This is where some time got away from me. I had to get help to finish riveting the skin, and during that time we took a short vacation. But I got my friend Wilson to come and help, and we got the rest of the skin shot on in pretty short order.
I cleaned up the glareshield for painting. Had one more day of halfway decent weather before it cooled off and rained for a week or so, so I got the paint done. I found some spray on truck bed liner paint that I thought I’d try. It has a nice texture and is flat. I think it looks nice.
I had to tidy up a few things: I installed the rollbar brace, and I had to resecure some clamps for the fuel vent lines. I had to move the vent lines so I could rivet in some of those locations.