NOW…Elevators complete!

July 15, 2010 – OK. I know I said before that the elevators were done, but I did have a couple of housekeeping items to take care of. I wanted to get a rough rig of the elevator trim servo with the tab.

Per the schematics that came with the Ray Allen servo kit, I wired everything together so that it would run. Using a 9-volt battery for testing, it all ran fine.

I discovered, as I guess most builders do, that I had to either bend the threaded rod or extend the cutout. There is interference with the cutout when the tab approaches full nose-up. I opted to extend the cutout about 1/4″ or so. Now the rod just clears at full nose-up.

Here’s a video of the tab running through its travel.

I also removed the composite end rib from the elevator, since I wasn’t happy with its shape. It was slightly rounded on the top and the bottom. I sanded the top and the bottom until they were flat, then I reinstalled it, using sealant like I did before.

Time : 1:45

2 thoughts on “NOW…Elevators complete!

  • December 1, 2018 at 6:04 am
    Permalink

    My skills at bending the tabs on the left elevator are falling short. I have seen several builders cut these tabs off and use a self-made reversed rib to finish these areas. I like your approach and request to know what material you use to fashion these filling blocks.

    Thank you,
    Barry

    Reply
    • December 11, 2018 at 4:17 pm
      Permalink

      I used sandwich composite based panel, aluminum core with fiberglass face, because it was available to me. I know some people use foam and glass it in. That’s certainly doable.

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *